How to Convert Between Improper Fraction & Mixed Number

Improper vs. Mixed Number

There is more than one way to represent a number greater than one that has a fractional part. An improper fraction simply lets the numerator be larger than the denominator, such as 7/4. Another way to represent this type of number is as a mixed number, which has a whole part, then a fractional part such as 3 1/2. We should be proficient at going back and forth between the two forms.